Here’s a list of ways you can help make this a beautiful season for your neighbors who are homeless, hungry, or alone.
But this isn’t a comprehensive list: If your family or other group would like to plan a special event, drive, or service project for our shelters, please call 509.535.8510 in Spokane or 208.665.4673 in Coeur d’Alene.
City-Wide Thanksgiving Dinner
- Create colorful placemats, 10 by 14 inches, and bring to UGM by Tuesday, November 21.
- Donate winter socks, hats, gloves and scarves to hand out to guests. Men’s heavy socks and gloves are always a big hit!
- Sponsor a table at the meal for $200. Check back in October for more details.
Limited volunteer opportunities are available for Thanksgiving. For details, please call 509.535.8510 after Oct. 24.
- Bring practical winter clothing as gifts for the men: Jeans, hooded sweatshirts, socks and underwear, especially in sizes XXL to XXXXL. Donate by December 15 for the residents’ special holiday activities.
- Bring gifts for women and children: Pajamas, robes and loungewear. Please remember the older children, especially boys.
- Donate gift cards. $10 amounts from big-box stores allow residents to choose a special item for themselves or their children. Please bring in the activation receipt as well.
- Give “Christmas Morning in a Bag” for Men’s Shelter guests. Bring in plastic zip bags filled with lip balm, candy, socks, razors, deodorant, etc. Please don’t include gift cards in the bags. For more information, call Dean at 509.535.8510, ext. 128.
- Participate in Giving Tree. Set up a tree in your church or business to distribute ornaments with residents’ specific gift wishes. Call Anna Ogden Hall, the Crisis Shelter, or the Center for Women and Children for more information.
Limited volunteer opportunities are available for Christmas events. For details, please call 509.535.8510 after Nov. 28.